What will I study?
Why study online with Aberdeen?
How will I study?
This is an always-on course. Your learning materials are available online, 24/7, all year round. This means you can dip in and study when it suits you, setting your own pace.
You’re free to set your own study hours, and you have up to 18 months to complete the course.
The course will take approximately 150 hours to complete.
As a guide, that’s around 10-15 hours per week of study time over 12 weeks.
You’ll be assessed entirely online via a self-assessed digital workbook. It includes:
- interactive exercises
- self-reflective exercises
- multiple-choice tests.
During your studies, you will have the option to upgrade to the credit-bearing version of the course. If you choose to upgrade your course to credit-bearing, you can choose to be examined either by a 3,000-word essay or an exam.
If you choose to be assessed via exam, this is an exam that you must sit in person. Exams can be taken:
- on campus at the University of Aberdeen
- at another university or exam centre that is closer to you
- at your local British Council Office.
Sitting your exam on campus at the University of Aberdeen is free. Other universities, exam centres and British Council Offices may charge you for this service. This is an additional cost that you will have to pay on top of your course fee.
We can help you find a convenient location to sit your exam, wherever you are in the world.
Our first-class support structure will ensure that you aren’t alone in your studies. You can engage with lecturers and other participants through course-specific, interactive webinars and forums.
You can also contact us at email@example.com for course-related issues.
We provide a wide range of services to support you in your studies and beyond:
- Careers service
- Disability support
- IT support
- Library support
- Student Support Service – help with finances, stress, wellbeing and non-academic issues
- Student Learning Service – study support, with advice sessions available via phone or Skype
- Aberdeen University Students’ Association (AUSA) – run by students for students
- Toolkit – clever apps and free training that can make your study life easier
Wherever you are in the world, you’ll feel part of our very special Aberdeen learning community.
Where will this take me?
Am I ready?
We welcome students from all over the world. You do not need a visa to study online with us.
This course has no formal entry requirements, so you do not need to provide proof of your qualifications.
However, check the entry guidance above. It indicates the level of teaching delivered. If you do not have qualifications from the UK, view our International Entry Requirements for equivalent qualifications from your country.
English language requirements
Teaching is delivered in English.
You do not have to provide proof of your English language skills to join this course. But we want to make sure you can use English well enough to study successfully. At this level of teaching, you would usually have:
Duolingo English Test (taken from July 2019)
- 115 overall
LanguageCert International ESOL B2 Communicator (Written and Spoken)
- All skills – B2
IELTS Academic – 6.5 overall
- 5.5 for listening, reading and speaking
- 6.0 for writing
TOEFL iBT – 90 overall
- 17 for listening
- 18 for reading
- 20 for speaking
- 21 for writing
- TOEFL DI code is 0818
PTE Academic – 62 overall
- 51 for listening, reading and speaking
- 54 for writing
Cambridge English: B2 First, C1 Advanced, C2 Proficiency – 176 overall
- 162 for listening, reading and speaking
- 169 for writing
- Integrated Skills in English III (ISEIII)
- A pass in all components with distinction
See our English Language Requirements page for more information about English language qualifications.
You will need access to:
A computer (PC, laptop or Mac) operating on:
- Windows 8 or later
- Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra) or later.
All our teaching materials are smartphone- and tablet-friendly. However, you’re likely to need a proper laptop or computer keyboard for completing assignments comfortably.
Reliable internet access
With reasonable download speed. We broadly estimate at least 2Mbps so that you can take part fully in live sessions.
Speakers or headphones
- A headset with built-in microphone and earphones is useful if you’re likely to study in an environment with background noise.
- A webcam may be desirable for some interactive sessions.
We will give you access to Office365 applications. This means that you can use online versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and install these programs on up to five personal devices.
If your course requires any specialist software, then we’ll provide you with copies of this and a licence that lasts throughout your studies.
See our detailed IT requirements for more information.
When you study with us, you can expect a first-class support structure so that you’re never alone in your studies.
But learning online does mean you have to motivate yourself and manage your own time.
Your most important commitment to your course will be time – the time to work through, reflect on and understand your teaching materials.
Before you start a course that involves a high degree of independent study, we recommend looking at the time you will be able to devote to your course each week:
- Be realistic
- Create a weekly schedule as a guide
If you have any questions about studying online, get in touch with our friendly team. We’re here to help.
Your course fee needs to be paid in full before you start your course.
We accept payment via Visa Debit, Visa Credit and Mastercard.
Ways to save
There are several ways you may be able to get help funding your studies:
- Discounts – if any discounts are available for this course, they’ll appear in the section below
- Employer sponsorship – we accept full and partial fee payments from sponsors
- Student loans
- Scholarships – search our funding database for scholarships
- Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)
All our students are entitled to a University of Aberdeen student card. This gives you access to a range of student discounts around the city and online.