What will I study?
How will I study?
You’re completely free to set your own study hours. The learning resources are there for you online 24/7, all year round, so you can drop in and study anytime.
Once you’ve enrolled, you’ll have 12 months to complete the course at your own pace.
As a guide, investing approximately 3-5 hours per week means you should complete the course within 6 weeks.
This course is assessed entirely online.
You’ll be assessed throughout your course via:
- two online self-assessment activities – allowing you to measure your own understanding of key concepts
- a final online multiple-choice assessment – based on the subjects covered during your course.
Our first-class support structure will ensure that you aren’t alone in your studies. You’ll have contact with your tutors via MyAberdeen. You can use social media and discussion boards to chat with your fellow students too.
We provide a wide range of services to support you in your studies and beyond:
- Careers and Employability Service – including one-to-one advice sessions
- Disability support
- IT support
- Library support
- Student Support Service – help with finances, stress, wellbeing and non-academic issues
- Student Learning Service – study support, with advice sessions available via phone or Skype
- Aberdeen University Students’ Association (AUSA) – run by students for students
- Toolkit – clever apps and free training that can make your study life easier
Wherever you are in the world, you’ll feel part of our very special Aberdeen learning community.
Where will this take me?
Am I ready?
English language skills
We want to make sure that you can use English well enough to study this course. At this level of teaching, our language requirements are:
- IELTS 6.0 or above
- a minimum of 5.5 for the listening, reading and speaking components
- and a minimum of 6.0 for the writing component.
We’re also happy to accept other English language tests that meet the IELTS equivalent. See the Undergraduate requirements section of our English Language Requirements page to find out about equivalent qualifications from your country.
You will need access to:
A computer - PC, laptop or Mac - operating on:
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite) or later, preferably Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra).
All our teaching materials are mobile-, smartphone- and tablet-friendly. However, you’re likely to need a proper keyboard for completing assignments.
Reliable internet access
With reasonable download speed: we broadly estimate at least 2Mbps so that you can fully take part in live sessions.
Speakers or headphones
- A headset with built-in microphone and earphones is useful if you’re likely to study in an environment with background noise.
- A webcam may be desirable for some interactive sessions.
We will give you access to Office365 applications. This means that you can use online versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and up to 5 copies of the full programs for installation on personal devices.
If your course requires any specialist software, then we’ll provide you with copies of this and a licence that lasts throughout your studies.
When you study with us, you can expect a first-class support structure that means you are never alone in your studies.
But learning online does mean that you have to motivate yourself and manage your own time.
Your most important commitment to your course will be time – the time to work through, reflect on and understand your teaching materials.
Before you start a course that involves a high degree of self-study, we recommend looking at the time you will be able to devote to your course each week:
- Be realistic
- Create a weekly schedule as a guide
Your course fee needs to be paid in full before you start your course.
We accept payment via all major credit and debit cards except American Express.
Ways to save
There are several ways that you may be able to get help funding your studies:
- Employer sponsorship
- Student loan
- Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)
All our students are entitled to a University of Aberdeen student card, giving you access to a range of student discounts around the city and online.