What will I study?
Why study Access Maths?
How will I study?
Our Access courses are 100% online, so you don’t have any on-campus or in-person exams.
Learning and assessment
- If you choose the ‘Learning and assessment’ option, your course will end with two assessments. You complete and submit these online.
- You don’t have to take these final assessments until you feel totally ready. You can go back and review previous learning until you feel confident and ready to progress to the assessment stage.
- You need to pass both assessments, which combine to give you a final grade using our Common Grading Scale.
- If you choose the ‘Learning only’ option, you won’t have any assessments to complete. You won’t earn any credits if you choose this option.
- If you later decide that you'd like to sit the assessments, the assessment part of this course is available to purchase separately anytime.
If you choose to be assessed, your assessment will be marked and graded by the University of Aberdeen at one of 5 exit points. These are dates throughout the year when marking takes places.
You can submit your assessments whenever you like, and your work will be marked at the next available exit point.
The Assessment Timeline dropdown below shows the upcoming exit points, and when your results will be published.
The assessment timeline for academic year 2019/20 is as follows. Future dates will be made available in due course.
Exit point 1
- Exit point closes: 28 June 2019
- Results + certificate return: 31 July 2019
Exit point 2
- Exit point closes: 19 July 2019
- Results + certificate return: 12 August 2019
Exit point 3
- Exit point closes: 27 September 2019
- Results + certificate return: 31 October 2019
Exit point 4
- Exit point closes: 17 January 2020
- Results + certificate return: 21 February 2020
Exit point 5
- Exit point closes: 27 March 2020
- Results + certificate return: 30 April 2020
Where will this take me?
Further Access courses
Am I ready?
You will need access to:
A computer - PC, laptop or Mac - operating on:
- Windows 7 or later
- Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite) or later, preferably Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra)
All our teaching materials are mobile-, smartphone- and tablet-friendly. However, you’re likely to need a proper keyboard for completing assignments.
Reliable internet access
With reasonable download speed: we broadly estimate at least 2Mbps so that you can fully take part in live sessions.
Speakers or headphones
- A headset with built-in microphone and earphones is useful if you’re likely to study in an environment with background noise.
- A webcam may be desirable for some interactive sessions.
We will give you access to Office365 applications. This means that you can use online versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and up to 5 copies of the full programs for installation on personal devices.
If your course requires any specialist software, then we’ll provide you with copies of this and a licence that lasts throughout your studies.
When you study with us, you can expect a first-class support structure that means you are never alone in your studies.
But learning online does mean that you have to motivate yourself and manage your own time.
This course is very much self-guided.
- Have you ever taken a course that involved a high proportion of self-study?
- If yes, did you enjoy self-study as a way of learning?
Self-study isn’t for everyone. If you’ve struggled in the past, or have any concerns, please get in touch.
How to pay
- Your course fee needs to be paid in full before you start your course.
- You enrol and pay for your course online – simply apply below.
- We accept payment via all major credit and debit cards except American Express.
Spreading the cost
As a way to spread the cost of this course, you can start with the 'Learning only' part and and purchase the assessment stage separately later when you're ready.
Sorry, this course isn't eligible for any discounts or fee waivers.
As an Access student you're entitled to a University of Aberdeen student card, giving you access to a range of student discounts around the city and online.
You’ll be sent details of how to get your student card once you’ve enrolled.
All our students, online and blended learning, have access to the same facilities as our on-campus students.
You’re part of the Aberdeen student family, and you’re welcome on campus anytime. Enjoy exploring Old Aberdeen and pay a visit to: